This meeting was announced and chaired by Smith Kennedy.
These minutes were prepared by Ira McDonald with much help from Smith Kennedy.
- Review agenda and state PWG IP Policy - Ira McDonald as minute taker - Revised Agenda: (1) Administrivia (2) Press Release Review Process - Status (All) (3) PWG August 2020 Virtual F2F - Debrief (All) (4) Zoom and F2F events (All) (5) Recommended URI schemes for publishing documents (Smith) (6) Marketing IPP Everywhere as a replacement for Google Cloud Print? (Smith) (7) Working with INCITS to develop a 3D Printing Protection Profile (Alan / Paul) (8) PWG Process 4.0 - Status (Smith) (9) GSoC and GSoD 2020 - Update (Ira) (10) PWG Pending Press Releases - Status (Smith) (11) Mopria Liaison - Update (Smith) (12) AMSC/ISO Liaisons - Update (Paul) (13) Next SC Meetings (14) Action Items - Review (All)
- IPR declaration - Roll call - Review minutes of SC meeting (10 August 2020) - Approved as posted - Defer review of minutes of PWG Plenary (18 August 2020) - not yet posted - will approve next time
- Discussion - Review posted draft of Press Release Policy - Rename "1-3 individuals" to be Subject Matter Experts - Add "SME" as an Actor - Add this to Roles and Responsibilities Policy as well - Make step 1 be for defining scope and audience expectations - Make step 2 for producing initial draft - Defining scope & audience is a separate activity (before creating initial draft)ACTION: 08/24/20 - Smith to update Press Release Policy and also update Roles and Responsibilities to add SME (Subject Matter Expert).
- Discussion - Review posted draft of PWG August 2020 F2F Summary - Consensus: Unanimous that Smith should publish the summary - Overall, F2F meeting seemed to go well (except for some Zoom problems)
- Discussion - Password AND waiting room - belt and suspenders? - Yes - let's go to password, but no waiting room, for SC calls - Yes - also for the IPP WG and IDS WG calls - Audio issues - Using an older computer makes audio garbled - Audio dropouts even over a fast WAN connection with VoIP - Ira had a problem with getting "Call Back" / "Call Me" feature to work - Not sure why we are having audio issues but, if it the problems continue, we can escalate to Zoom tech support
- Discussion - Smith recommends that PWG move to only publishing documents using the "https" URI scheme, and cease publishing documents to the public using "ftp" or "ftps" URI schemes, to allow PWG to move to a non-FTP file repository for internal use - The public doesn't need to know that we use FTP or SFTP or NextCloud or GitHub or whatever to publish documents to the public - Consensus: Approve of this URI scheme change - We have already been doing this now for some time (e.g., in recent Namespace Policy) - All the PWG and WG officers should just police URI scheme usage, now that we are all "officially" on the same pageACTION: 08/24/20 - Smith to codify "https" URI scheme usage in the PWG Network Infrastructure Policy document, etc. Also consider how to move away from "ftp.pwg.org" to something more like "files.pwg.org" or "www.pwg.org/files".
- Discussion - Topic came up during last week's PWG August 2020 F2F - Last time this topic came up in SC, Google had not made an official announcement (e.g., press release or a blog) rather than simply from a tech note or one of their support forums - Google is a PWG member in good standing and we don't want to undercut them - Could we publish a document simply describing IPP Everywhere on Chrome OS? - Or would it be good for Smith as PWG Chair to reach out to Sean Kau (Google) to ask whether IPP Everywhere is part the Google strategy or if it is sort of an incidental thing for them?ACTION: 08/24/20 - Smith to contact Sean Kau (Google) to see if PWG and Google are both going in the same direction and whether Google is interested in either working together on a press release or if they would object to us posting an informational document on IPP and Chrome OS for local and cloud printing.
- Discussion - Paul and Alan are working on gathering the appropriate data to decide which way to go about leveraging a PP specific to 3D printers - Maybe use the HCD cPP as a base document, do that with a "PP Module" and a new SD (Supporting Document with assurance tests) - Is INCITS interested in Common Criteria certification or do they have different interests? - Yes, the asked specifically about Common Criteria (not some other certification process) - Also this will feed into the presentation Paul and Alan will make to INCITS in October
- Discussion - Smith about to publish next draft to re-establish a baseline for discussion and review
- Discussion - GSoC - Very successful - This week, the students publish their final code by Friday 08/28/20 and submit their mentor evaluations - Next week, mentors submit their final student evaluations - IPP Scan and IPP FaxOut projects will continue after GSoC for another 3 months in Linux Foundation Mentorship Program (LFMP) and Linux Foundation pays the students for their work on this - GSoD - LF/OP was accepted - One of the LF/OP GSoC projects will get a document via GSoD - Technical writer applications deadline was 9 July 2020 - Accepted GSoD technical writer projects were announced on 16 August 2020 - GSoC 2020 Timeline (*updated) - DONE - 14 January - Mentoring organization applications submissions start - DONE - 5 February - Mentoring organization application submissions end - DONE - 5-19 February - Google program administrators review organization applications - DONE - 20 February - List of accepted mentoring organizations published - DONE - 20 February to 16 March - Potential students discuss ideas w/ mentors - DONE - 16 March - Student application submissions start - DONE - 31 March - Student application submissions end - DONE - 21 April* - Student slot requests due from Org Admins - DONE - 30 April* - Student Project selections due from Org Admins - DONE - 4 May* - Accepted student projects announced - DONE - 1 June* - Coding officially begins! - DONE - 29 June* - Mentors and students can begin submitting Phase 1 evaluations - DONE - 3 July* - Phase 1 Evaluation deadline - DONE - 27 July* - Mentors and students can begin submitting Phase 2 evaluations - DONE - 31 July* - Phase 2 Evaluation deadline - 24-31 August* - Final week: Students submit their final work and mentor evaluations - 31 August to 7 September* - Mentors submit final student evaluations - 8 September* - Final results of Google Summer of Code 2020 announced - GSoD 2020 Timeline - DONE - 11 May 2020 - Accepted mentoring organizations announced - DONE - 9 July 2020 - Technical writer applications deadline - DONE - 16 August 2020 - Accepted technical writer projects announced - 14 September 2020 - Doc development officially begins - 30 November to 5 December 2020 - Final week for standard length - 6 January 2021 - GSoD 2020 standard length results announced - 1-8 March 2021 - Final week for long-running projects - 15 March 2021 - GSoD 2020 long-running results announced
- Discussion - IPP Everywhere v1.1 update is next press releaseACTION: 08/24/20 - Smith to contact Anne about creating the initial draft for the IPP Everywhere v1.1 update press release
- Discussion - Smith has been asked by Mopria to present a IPP State of the Union 2020 deck - Smith awaiting for specific interests from Mopria for a focused small set of slides for the Mopria November 2020 member MeetingACTION: 08/24/20 - Smith to ping Mike Rhines (Qualcomm, Mopria liaison) again about scope / areas of interest for the IPP State of the Union 2020 presentation to November 2020 Mopria meeting
- Discussion - Draft presentation about PWG Safe G-Code and normalizing G-Code for concrete printing - What does the PWG want out of the PDF Association metadata discussion or what position to evangelize?
- SC Tiger Team - Monday 31 August 2020 11am Pacific / 2pm Eastern - draft PWG Process 4.0 review - draft policy document reviews - SC - Monday 7 September 2020 11am Pacific / 2pm Eastern - CANCELED due to US Labor Day holiday - Maybe SC meeting on 8 or 9 September 2020? - Smith to send out a query / doodle poll ASAP - Action item review - 3D topics - SC Tiger Team - Monday 14 September 2020 11am Pacific / 2pm Eastern - document review - SC - Monday 21 September 2020 11am Pacific / 2pm Eastern - regular meeting - SC Tiger Team - Monday 28 September 2020 11am Pacific / 2pm Eastern - document review
- Discussion - Deferred but all action item status updated (see below)