This meeting was announced and chaired by Smith Kennedy.
These minutes were prepared by Ira McDonald with much help from Smith Kennedy.
- Review agenda and state PWG IP Policy - Ira McDonald as minute taker - Revised Agenda: (1) Administrivia (2) IDS WG Chair replacement - Status (Alan) (3) PWG potential shift from WebEx to Zoom (Smith/Ira) (4) PWG May 2020 Virtual F2F - Status (All) (5) Apple Developer account (Smith) (6) PWG Process 4.0 - Status (Smith) (7) GSoC 2020 Planning (Ira / All) (8) PWG Pending Press Releases (9) Specialist Printing Worldwide article from the PWG (Paul) (10) AMSC/ISO liaisons - Status (Paul) (11) Toolset thoughts (All) (12) Next SC meetings (All) (13) Action Items - Review (All)
- IPR declaration - Roll call - Review minutes of SC meeting (9 March 2020) - Approved as posted
- Discussion - Cihan Colakoglu (Kyocera) is eager but is still awaiting management approval - Smith in email dialog with Brian Volkoff (Ricoh) who said he wasn't clear on the IDS WG's objectives - HCD TC started out as a group for the bi-lateral HCD PP (US and Japan) under the Common Criteria Users Forum (CCUF) - HCD TC is still associated with CCUF, but is now formally part of Common Criteria itself, since the recent chartering of HCD iTC (International Technical Community) - Is it a standalone group? - Not really - see history above - IDS WG is a group of PWG member companies who have similar goals who want to coordinate efforts in the HCD iTC as well as other standards bodies - Independent perspective because there are other (not CC-centric) people involved - Has this been articulated in the IDS WG charter? - If not, it should be - but it may already say this - Ira updated last version of IDS WG charter and believes that it *is* articulated - Alan Sukert (retiring from Xerox in April) could still be an IDS WG Co-Chair, but not a PWG OfficerACTION: 03/23/20 - Smith to point Brian Volkoff (Ricoh) to the current IDS WG charter
- Discussion - Smith working with Joni (IEEE-ISTO) to get Zoom conferencing for PWG setup - Will do this in parallel with WebEx - There is a "3 month shutdown window" for WebEx - Hoping to have Zoom ready for next week's PWG SC Tiger Team call (03/30/20)
- Discussion - Ira reminded Michael Vrhel (Artifex) about May Virtual F2F on 03/21/23 - Michael acknowledged on 03/23/20 and confirmed that he will participate
- Discussion - All done! - Joni created PWG's Apple Developer account and talked Apple into providing us with a no-fee membership because we are a non-profit (yay!) - Joni added Smith as an admin, who then added Mike Sweet as an admin
- Discussion - Update to IPP Registry Policy posted after last week's Tiger Team meeting - Another Tiger Team next week
- Discussion - Proceeding well - Linux Foundation has student applications coming in through the end of March - As of Tuesday last week (03/17/20) we have good student candidates working on intro tasks and written proposals for all Linux Foundation OP projects - GSoC officials relaxed/revised the student application timeline on 03/24/20 in response to pressure from GSoC mentors - GSoC 2020 Timeline (*updated) - DONE - 14 January - Mentoring organization applications submissions start - DONE - 5 February - Mentoring organization application submissions end - DONE - 5-19 February - Google program administrators review organization applications - DONE - 20 February - List of accepted mentoring organizations published - DONE - 20 February to 16 March - Potential students discuss ideas w/ mentors - 16 March - Student application submissions start - 31 March - Student application submissions end - 21 April* - Student slot requests due from Org Admins - 30 April* - Student Project selections due from Org Admins - 4 May* - Accepted student projects announced - 1 June* Coding officially begins! - 29 June* - Mentors and students can begin submitting Phase 1 evaluations - 3 July* - Phase 1 Evaluation deadline - 27 July* - Mentors and students can begin submitting Phase 2 evaluations - 31 July* - Phase 2 Evaluation deadline - 24-31 August* - Final week: Students submit their final work and mentor evaluations - 31 August to 7 September* - Mentors submit final student evaluations - 8 September* - Final results of Google Summer of Code 2020 announced - October* - GSoC 2020 Mentor Summit (at risk of cancelation)
- Discussion - Smith reached out to Bill Ash (INCITS) but hasn't heard back yet - will send another ping - Is this getting too stale? - HP members of the INCITS technical committee? - Has HP found someone that can help ensure that the INCITS TC can continue its work? - INCITS TC leadership was from HP but that / those individual(s) retired, so where does that put the INCITS TC? - Wait for INCITS for the PR posting about IPP 3D v1.1 / PWG Safe G-Code? - DRUPA announcement held to line up with the next DRUPA meeting - Delayed by a year until April 2021ACTION: 03/23/20 - Smith to inquire about INCITS TC state internally (within HP), to find out what is going on...and that info will inform the decision of how to do the PWG press releases w/ INCITS
- Discussion - Offer from Nicola Penhallow to write an article in Specialist Printing Worldwide - Topic "Future of 3D printing and how industry standards contribute to that" or something along those lines - Email offer included editorial guidelines attachment - PWG already has the subject matter in bullet-form (slides), so the task is really about articulating those points in prose form - Editorial deadlines (for English language issues in 2020) - Issue 2 - 30 March 2020 (too soon) - Issue 3 - 21 July 2020 (too long before DRUPA 2021?) - Issue 4 - 21 September 2020 (best choice) - Paul can put together the basic draft and then we can review in PWG SCACTION: 03/23/20 - Paul to write initial draft of PWG article for Specialist Printing Worldwide for review by PWG SC on 04/20/20
- Discussion - AMSC and RAPID were canceled for all of 2020 - AMSC on schedule for April 2021 in Chicago - Collide with the dates when DRUPA 2021 will occur and Paul attending in Dusseldorf - Concrete printing WebEx - Need to pick new date in late April - Crafting language for announcement - TC 171 SC 2 is just getting going - ACI (American Concrete Institute) Spring 2020 conference was canceled - 3DHEALS (medical printing) 2020 conference was canceled and they are doing virtualACTION: 03/23/20 - Paul to get AMSC to list the IPP 3D Printing v1.1, PWG 3D Print Job Ticket and Associated Capabilities v1.0 (PJT3D), and PWG Safe G-Code v1.0 documents in their AMSC catalog
- Discussion - Smith suggests using a Cloud-based collaboration offering - GitHub seems a poor match for standards document review workflows... - Ira has had poor experiences of Cloud-based collaboration on public standards - IETF and Common Criteria have shifted to GitHub (some w/out Markdown/AsciiDoc)
- SC Tiger Team - Monday 30 March 2020 11am Pacific / 2pm Eastern - document review - SC - Monday 6 April 2020 11am Pacific / 2pm Eastern - draft PWG Plenary slide review (Smith) - SC Tiger Team - Monday 13 April 2020 11am Pacific / 2pm Eastern - document review - SC - Monday 20 April 2020 11am Pacific / 2pm Eastern - final PWG Plenary slide review (Smith) - draft Specialist Printing Worldwide article review (Paul) - SC Tiger Team - Monday 27 April 2020 11am Pacific / 2pm Eastern - document review - PWG Plenary - Wednesday 6 May 2020 7am Pacific / 10am Eastern - Joint PWG/OP Virtual F2F 5-7 May 2020
- Discussion - Deferred (but action item status updated - see below)