PWG Steering Committee Minutes * 3 December 2018
- Smith Kennedy (HP Inc, PWG Chair)
- Ira McDonald (High North, PWG Secretary, IPP WG Co-Chair)
- Jessica O'Hanlon (IEEE-ISTO PWG Program Manager)
- Mike Sweet (Apple, former PWG Chair, IPP WG Secretary)
- Alan Sukert (Xerox, PWG Vice Chair, IDS WG Chair)
- Paul Tykodi (TCS, IPP WG Co-Chair)
- Bill Wagner (TIC, former Cloud WG Chair, former WIMS WG Chair)
This meeting was announced and chaired by Smith Kennedy.
These minutes were prepared by Ira McDonald with much help from Smith Kennedy.
- (0) Agenda bashing, IP Policy, minute taker
- Review agenda and state PWG IP Policy
- Ira McDonald as minute taker
- Revised Agenda:
(2) Select a tentative date for next IDS Meeting in January 2019 (Alan/Ira)
(3) ISO JTC1 SC28 query about IEEE 2600 (Alan)
(4) SC Virtual F2F - Future of PWG (All)
(5) Next SC meetings
(6) Action Items Review (All)
- (1) Administrivia
- IPR declaration
- Roll call
- Review minutes of SC (5 November 2018) meeting
- Approved as posted
- Review minutes of PWG F2F Plenary (14 November 2018)
- Approved as posted
- (2) Select a tentative date for next IDS Meeting in January 2019 (Alan/Ira)
- IPP WG off-cadence dates (all @ 3pm ET on Thursday)
- 13 December 2018
- 10 January 2019
- 24 January 2019
- PWG SC off-cadence dates (all @ 2pm ET on Monday)
- 10 December 2018
- 7 January 2019
- Next IDS WG meeting
- 24 January 2019 is the best date
- (3) ISO JTC1 SC28 query about IEEE 2600 (Alan)
- Process / next steps are not at all clear currently
- IEEE standards can be fast tracked into ISO standards (~4 month track)
- General topic: Does the IEEE 2600 group want to bring IEEE 2600 to SC28?
- Does the industry want this to happen?
- It would solve the sunsetting of IEEE 2600 in 2019 (stranding 24 CC nations)
- Eventually, we want everybody to move to the new HCD PP (v1.1) and future cPP
- Rather than the "old" IEEE 2600 PP
- But a finalized cPP is probably at least 2 years out
- Can this be roadmapped so that IEEE 2600 is the first stage and the HCD PP v1.1
and cPP are later transition stages?
- Consensus: Alan should pursue this SC28 query and add work item(s) to IDS charter
ACTION: 12/03/18 - Alan to pursue liaison / engagement with ISO JTC1 SC28 and do what
is needed in IDS WG meetings
- (4) SC Virtual F2F - Future of PWG (All)
- What does the PWG look like in 5 years?
- Impact on Process 4.0?
- What are the PWG's activities?
- Is there just maintenance/development of IPP?
- Is there any expected new activity?
- 3D was promising but not that much interest in the industry to adopt or be engaged
- With 3D, we are kind of so far out in front from a conceptual / cognitive point of
view that they haven't realized they need it yet (or they don't want to do that yet
because they think coupling / closed systems are still valuable).
- Still no killer app...
- System Service *is* a very important new IPP technology
- Security related technologies and policies (Job and Document Encryption, Privacy
Attributes, Get-User-Printer-Attributes, etc.)
- Several PWG technologies developed in the last 5 years are being looked at very closely
and/or implemented in the market (e.g., 5100.16 and 5100.18)
- Some groups (e.g., Mopria) have much higher participation than the PWG, but they seem
to be slow to take up the PWG's more recent work
- Need a new PWG Policy to fix the quorum rule
- Getting quorum out of nonparticipating members is a problem
- Most other standards bodies require active participation to preserve voting rights
- Paul noticed that the greatest concern that IT admins (not necessarily customers) have
involve the degree to which the printer as a network host have exposed their customers
networks to risks because of improperly implemented network interfaces (what services
they expose, etc.)
- What would be valuable to our PWG members?
- Should we do a survey?
- Topics to ask about in a survey (or Plenary sessions)
- Access Control
- 3D Printing
- Conformance / test suites
- Sample implementations
- Intro / help desk
- ePub IPP book we just finished
- Go back to our PWG charter goals?
- Should we try to require our members to attend / be engaged in some way as a condition of
some level of membership?
- Take attendance at meetings?
- Use meeting attendance as a condition of voting rights?
- Some other scheme?
- (5) Next SC meetings
- SC - Monday 17 December 11am Pacific / 2pm Eastern
- regular topics but brief meeting
- SC - Monday 31 December
- CANCELED - New Year's holiday
- SC - Monday 14 January 11am Pacific / 2pm Eastern
- regular topics
- (6) Action Items Review (All)
- Deferred (but status updated - see below)
Previous Action Items
- ACTION: Ira to document OID arc usage in PWG
- OPEN - pwg-mib-numbers-20091220.txt
- "arc" is any single value (often least-significant) in an OID
- Existing plain text PWG policy and registry for each PWG MIB base OID
- IBM gave PWG a permanent arc for LDAP OIDs for Print Schema (RFC 7612)
- LDAP OIDs to be documented in a additional policy and registry in ".../process/"
- ACTION: Ira to update "pwg-namespace-policy-20060112.txt" - add "white"
prefix and update project and document lifecycles
- IN PROGRESS
- pwg-namespace-policy-20160820.txt is first draft
- ACTION: Ira and Alan work w/ Anne Price to develop a joint TCG/PWG demo of
HCD-TNC profile in a Printer with a Router or OS evaluating the Printer Health
- ACTION: Smith/Mike/Ira/anybody to draft whitepaper on late binding for
best fidelity in Cloud servers, intent vs. process for output fidelity,
and the fundamental design ethos of the PWG's work
- Perhaps have as a topic for the August 2016 F2F to enumerate core set of
concepts with which to construct an outline for the document
- Smith to add discussion of this late binding for the future F2F Plenary
- ACTION: Smith to write an outline of the structure of Process 4.0 for SC
- ACTION: Smith to request SC review of pwg-namespace-policy-20160820.txt
before an SC meeting
- ACTION: Smith to follow up with Anne Price about press releases for
IPP/1.1 (RFC 8010 / 8011), IPP 3D Print, IPP Finishings/2.1, and
IPP Everywhere with certified products
- ACTION: Smith / Jessica to update "liaison agreement template" or create new "license
agreement template" that would allow a partner to grant to PWG the right to use or
reference content within - should this be created by the PWG or by the org that is
granting the license?
- ACTION: Paul to draft summary of PWG 3D efforts for review by SC and Anne Price
- ACTION: Jessica / Paul to check with Pat (ASTM) on resolution to how they can take
PWG terms but still provide attribution
- ACTION: Paul to send email to Pat (ASTM) and copy Jessica on a proposal for a
path forward that has been discussed (targeted license agreement, etc.)
- ACTION: 07/16/18 - Smith / Ira to follow up with Aveek / Till on getting
IPP Everywhere logo listed on Linux OpenPrinting website
- IN PROGRESS
- Linux OP is developing a new website and will include logo in fall 2018
- ACTION: 08/06/18 - Smith to contact Alexander Auster (Autodesk) about PWG and 3MF
liaison status per IPP WG minutes of 04/26/18
- IN PROGRESS
- Smith is engaging w/ Alexander Oster (Autodesk, 3MF liaison) in September 2018
- ACTION: 10/08/18 - Smith to query Jessica periodically about PWG Operations transfer
management to ISTO
- IN PROGRESS
- Jessica was working on this in September 2018
- ACTION: 10/08/18 - SC to review PWG Officer Job Descriptions and provide feedback
- IN PROGRESS
- Smith sent a new draft
Smith to read Bill's response email on PWG Officer Job Descriptions
and post another draft
Related to "Future of PWG" topic
- ACTION: 11/05/18 - Smith to send email to kick off discussion on Future of PWG
- ACTION: 11/05/18 - Smith to include Jessica in the email thread / meeting invite on
Future of PWG