PWG Steering Committee Minutes * 1 February 2018
- Smith Kennedy (HP Inc, PWG Chair)
- Ira McDonald (High North, PWG Secretary, IPP WG Co-Chair)
- Alan Sukert (Xerox, PWG Vice Chair, IDS WG Chair)
- Paul Tykodi (TCS, IPP WG Co-Chair)
- Bill Wagner (TIC, former Cloud WG and WIMS WG Chair)
This meeting was announced and chaired by Smith Kennedy.
These minutes were prepared by Ira McDonald with much help from Smith Kennedy.
- (0) Agenda bashing, IP Policy, minute taker
- Review agenda and state PWG IP Policy
- Ira McDonald as minute taker
- Revised Agenda:
(2) IEEE 1284 Expiration (All)
(3) Responding to request for blog posting on IPP 3D
(4) P3030 Kickoff Meeting (Paul/Smith)
(5) PWG May 2018 F2F planning (All)
(6) PWG February 2018 vF2F slide review (All)
(7) IPP Registration policy review #3 (Mike / Smith)
(8) PWG GitHub License Move to Apache v2?
(9) Next SC meetings
- (1) Administrivia
- IPR declaration
- Roll call
- Review minutes of SC on 18 January 2018
- Approved as posted
- (2) IEEE 1284 Expiration (All)
- Our interest is mostly focused on the 1284 Device ID - all the rest is
uninteresting at this point
- Jessica said she can reach out to Don Wright about this
- Can we just extract the 1284 Device ID definition and write a really short
Informational RFC or else get IEEE to publish it for free and let it be out
there in perpetuity?
- (Smith) Or should / could we use this as an inflection point to deprecate /
abandon what is really a legacy technology?
- Can discuss later
ACTION: Ira to ask Danny Brennan (IEEE SA member) about chairing an IEEE 1284 group
- CLOSED - Ira sent note to Danny on 02/09/18 and Danny accepted - hooray!
ACTION: Smith to ask internally (within HP) about IEEE 1284 reaffirmation (again)
- (3) Responding to request for blog posting on IPP 3D
- This blog looks at various 3D printing verticals and looks at the 3D printing
- PWG had posted one article on IPP 3D after Drupa
- Someone from Drupa attendees has reached out asking for an update on IPP 3D
- How to author an update on that?
- Use PWG PR contacts?
- Or have PWG SC & friends put something together?
- (Smith) Would Paul be able to work with Anne Price on this?
- (Ira) Anne Price is overloaded in February so she may not be available
- (Paul) SC and Mike to come up with a draft that Anne could possibly review
ACTION: Paul to write first draft of IPP 3D update with Mike and then post to SC
- (4) P3030 Kickoff Meeting (Paul/Smith)
- Most potential attendees were at CES
- P3030 was held Saturday night after CES
- 15 people had responded but most were in transit home from CES
- Paul, Yu, and one other person who is becoming president of IEEE USA attended
- Yu has to schedule additional meetings now as per IEEE requirements
- What is the typical IEEE specification development process?
- Once you officially "start" the IEEE rules now have to be followed
- P3030 Group has ties to CEM
- Paul presented the PWG content remotely
- Could the PWG and OpenPrinting co-host P3030 at PWG / OP F2F in May?
- (5) PWG May 2018 F2F planning (All)
- Moved from 26-28 April to May 15-17 (Tuesday to Thursday)
- Could be extended to include P3030 F2F
- Jessica looked into venues
- San Jose Marriott
- Santa Clara Marriott
- San Jose Tech Museum
- Price estimates are TBD
- (Ira) Strongly prefer Wild Palms to a regular corporate hotel
- (Smith) Agree that Wild Palms would be more friendly (and affordable)
ACTION: Paul to reach out to Yu (P3030 Chair) about future IEEE P3030 meetings
ACTION: Smith to reach out to Yu (P3030 Chair) about meetings, and discuss P3030
hosting their own venue but in the same neighborhood as May PWG / OP F2F
- (6) PWG February 2018 vF2F slide review (All)
- Fix all instances of "IPP Job Password" to be "IPP Job Save Password"
- Agenda, Gannt chart, etc.
- Ira will send TCG and IETF liaison slide updates (DONE)
- (6) PWG April F2F planning (All)
- Keep proposed dates (04/24/18 to 04/26/18) in Bay Area in California
- Selecting a space
- Apple said they could not host
- Ricoh said they could host but it might be awkward
- Smith looking into PWG hosted spaces
- Wild Palms Hotel
- Jessica (ISTO) also researching alternatives
- (7) IPP Registration policy review #3 (Mike / Smith)
- DONE - Smith sent Call for Objections on 02/01/18
- (8) PWG GitHub License Move to Apache v2?
- (9) Next SC meetings
- Plenary - Wednesday 7 February 9am Pacific / 12pm Eastern
- status and timelines
- SC - Thursday 15 February 9am Pacific / 12pm Eastern
- debrief February Virtual F2F
- SC - Thursday 1 March 9am Pacific / 12pm Eastern
- regulat topics
Previous Action Items
- ACTION: Ira to document OID arc usage in PWG
- OPEN - pwg-mib-numbers-20091220.txt
- "arc" is any single value (often least-significant) in an OID
- Existing plain text PWG policy and registry for each PWG MIB base OID
- IBM gave PWG a permanent arc for LDAP OIDs for Print Schema (RFC 7612)
- LDAP OIDs to be documented in a additional policy and registry in ".../process/"
- ACTION: Ira to update "pwg-namespace-policy-20060112.txt" - add "white"
prefix and update project and document lifecycles
- IN PROGRESS - pwg-namespace-policy-20160820.txt is first draft
- ACTION: Smith/Ira to write job descriptions for PWG Chair, PWG
Vice-Chair, and PWG Secretary
- IN PROGRESS - should result into a new policy document (eventually
plain text but start with MS Word working drafts)
- Smith sent initial draft to Ira - Ira proofed and posted for SC review
- feedback from Bill requesting more details on the specific responsibilities
of each officer
- next draft out soon?
- ACTION: Ira and Alan work w/ Anne Price to develop a joint TCG/PWG demo of
HCD-TNC profile in a Printer with a Router or OS evaluating the Printer Health
- ACTION: Smith/Mike/Ira/anybody to draft whitepaper on late binding for
best fidelity in Cloud servers, intent vs. process for output fidelity,
and the fundamental design ethos of the PWG's work
- perhaps have as a topic for the August F2F to enumerate core set of
concepts with which to construct an outline for the document
- Smith to add discussion of this late binding for the future F2F Plenary
- ACTION: Smith to send out screen captures of Wireshark before / after
updates to IPP mailing list
- IN PROGRESS - Smith sent note about Wireshark IPP commit status on 06/01
- ACTION: Smith to write an outline of the structure of Process 4.0 for SC
- ACTION: Smith to reach out to the two HP members of ISO US national body
on 3D Printing and Scanning and discuss PWG's offerings in this space and
Paul Tykodi's presence on the team as a representative of the PWG
- ACTION: Smith to request SC review of pwg-namespace-policy-20160820.txt
before an SC meeting
- ACTION: Smith to reach out to the 3MF officers to work on co-branding and PWG collaboration
- IN PROGRESS - Smith is working on this 05/25/17
- Smith reached out to 3MF Consortium officers about logo usage, not complete yet
- Smith to check in with Adrian about 3MF and PWG co-branding
- PWG members prototyping 3MF file with PWG PJT with IPP 3D attributes embedded
and we will review this prototype at the August F2F
- ACTION: Smith to ask PWG Webmaster to improve the SEO / searchability of
our website from well-known search engines (low priority)
- ACTION: Smith to follow up with Anne Price about press releases for
IPP/1.1 (RFC 8010 / 8011), IPP 3D Print, IPP Finishings/2.1, and
IPP Everywhere with certified products
- ACTION: Smith / Ira to ask Till if he can get an updated IPP Everywhere
logo on the Linux Foundation OpenPrinting page (the fixed logo with ™)
- IN PROGRESS - Smith, Ira, and Till are exchanging emails
- ACTION: Smith to ask Jane how he can converse directly with the lawyer
doing the filing to check on IPP Everywhere trademark. If that doesn't work,
plan is to move to a "™" on the "IPP Everywhere™" icon / trademark listing
and then wait for a suitable "specimen of use" to appear
- IN PROGRESS
- ACTION: Paul to write back to his AWS contact a discussion of what PWG is
actually trying to do, and decide on an appropriate path forward, because it
isn't clear that getting the PWG to have "advisor status" will help liaison
- ACTION: Jessica to review Process 3.0 and the policy docs to make sure they are congruent with ISTO legal / bylaws, and also update for
Process 4.0 so that our actions follow our process to a tee
- ACTION: Smith / Ira to review earlier minutes and create thread on SC reflector
about possible other collaboration ideas
- ACTION: Smith to reconsider PWG GitHub license before next SC meeting in January
- ACTION: Alan to call Brian Smithson about IDS, CCUF, and PWG meeting schedules
- ACTION: Smith to check with Don Wright about scope of IEEE 1284 request?
- ACTION: Smith to send out notice to PWG membership soliciting engagement?
- ACTION: Smith to send out SC last call (10-day) on IPP Registration policy
- CLOSED - sent on 02/01/18