PWG Steering Committee Minutes * 14 December 2017
- Smith Kennedy (HP Inc, PWG Chair)
- Ira McDonald (High North, PWG Secretary, IPP WG Co-Chair)
- Alan Sukert (Xerox, PWG Vice Chair, IDS WG Chair)
- Paul Tykodi (TCS, IPP WG Co-Chair)
- Bill Wagner (TIC, former Cloud WG and WIMS WG Chair)
This meeting was announced and chaired by Smith Kennedy.
These minutes were prepared by Ira McDonald with much help from Smith Kennedy.
- (0) Agenda bashing, IP Policy, minute taker
- Review agenda and state PWG IP Policy
- Ira McDonald as minute taker
- Revised Agenda:
(2) OP GSoC 2018 update (Ira)
(3) ISO/ASTM Liaison status (Paul)
(4) IEEE P3030 Liaison status (Smith)
(5) PWG February Virtual F2F planning (All)
(6) IPP Registration policy review #2 - defer?
(7) PWG GitHub License Move to Apache v2 - defer?
(8) Closer look at minutes notes from November Plenary - defer?
(9) IDS WG meetings in 2018 (Alan) - defer?
(10) Next SC meetings
- (1) Administrivia
- IPR declaration
- Roll call
- Review minutes of SC on 9 November 2017
- Approved as posted
- Review minutes of PWG Plenary on 15 November 2017
- Approved as posted
- (2) OP GSoC 2018 update (Ira)
- Accelerated schedule compared to 2017 - need to submit mentor organization
applications sooner (2018-01-04 - 2018-01-23)
- Ideas from OP
- Enhancements for ipptool: Write additional ipptool scripts for coverage of
operations and attributes that are required by IPP Everywhere, but not yet
tested in IPP Everywhere Self-Certification process - also new scripts for
other IPP specs (e.g., IPP Shared Infrastructure) for developers (from Ira).
- IPP Scan (or virtual MF device) server: Computer has scanner (and printer)
connected, scans the normal way via SANE. For accepting remote scan jobs
computer emulates a driverless IPP scanner.
- SANE module for IPP Scan Servce driverless scanning (mainly for
- Support for IPP System Services (replacement of printer's
proprietary web admin interface by GUI in printer setup tool).
Will need Mike Sweet to complete his prototype implementation
- Ideas from PWG - are any we had not covered by the ones above?
- Test files for ipptool that cover "features"?
- Review November 2017 F2F and April 2017 F2F minutes for ideas to share with
Ira / Till / Aveek
ACTION: Smith / Ira to review earlier minutes and create thread on SC reflector
about possible other collaboration ideas
OPEN - In Progress
- (3) ISO/ASTM Liaison status (Paul)
- ASTM and AMSC and materials
- Discussion during 2017-11-09 minutes review discussing ASTM and "concrete"
(the material) 3D printing and how the "recipe" for the concrete and the
nature or attributes of the ingredients might be characterized using standard
- 3D PDF w/ materials, rather than low level commands
- (4) IEEE P3030 Liaison status (Smith)
- Paul / Smith / Jessica met with Yu Yuan (P3030 chair) and Michael Kipness
(IEEE/ISTO staff) about the status of P3030
- P3030 has never met - first meeting is in January 2018
ACTION: Smith to follow up with Yu Yuan / Kipness / O'Hanlon about first meeting
of IEEE P3030 scheduled for January 2018
- (5) PWG February Virtual F2F planning (All)
- Virtualized since we have no location and not enough content to reivew
- Original proposed dates were 7-8 February 2018
ACTION: Smith to propose firm dates for PWG Virtual F2F in February 2018
- (6) IPP Registration policy review #2 - defer?
- Offline review - let's get this done before February 2018 vF2F
- (7) PWG GitHub License Move to Apache v2 - defer?
- Smith had a previous action item to follow up
- Response from ISTO expert was somewhat content-free and unhelpful
- OP meeting covered this issue as well and their tentative strategy is to
normalize on Apache v2 to align with CUPS at least for new projects
ACTION: Smith to reconsider PWG GitHub license before next SC meeting in January
- (8) Closer look at minutes notes from November Plenary - defer?
- But DO REVIEW for Plenary Action Items and the IPP WG minutes as well
- GSoC 2018
- PWG 2018 objectives
- other action items
- (9) IDS WG meetings in 2018 (Alan) - defer?
- (10) Next SC meetings
- No SC or IPP meetings 21 December / 28 December
- SC - Thursday 4 January 9am Pacific / 12pm Eastern
- regular topics
- SC - Thursday 18 January 9am Pacific / 12pm Eastern
- regular topics
Previous Action Items
- ACTION: Ira to document OID arc usage in PWG
- OPEN - pwg-mib-numbers-20091220.txt
- "arc" is any single value (often least-significant) in an OID
- Existing plain text PWG policy and registry for each PWG MIB base OID
- IBM gave PWG a permanent arc for LDAP OIDs for Print Schema (RFC 7612)
- LDAP OIDs to be documented in a additional policy and registry in ".../process/"
- ACTION: Ira to update "pwg-namespace-policy-20060112.txt" - add "white"
prefix and update project and document lifecycles
- IN PROGRESS - pwg-namespace-policy-20160820.txt is first draft
- ACTION: Smith/Ira to write job descriptions for PWG Chair, PWG
Vice-Chair, and PWG Secretary
- IN PROGRESS - should result into a new policy document (eventually
plain text but start with MS Word working drafts)
- Smith sent initial draft to Ira - Ira proofed and posted for SC review
- feedback from Bill requesting more details on the specific responsibilities
of each officer
- next draft out soon?
- ACTION: Ira and Alan work w/ Anne Price to develop a joint TCG/PWG demo of
HCD-TNC profile in a Printer with a Router or OS evaluating the Printer Health
- ACTION: Smith/Mike/Ira/anybody to draft whitepaper on late binding for
best fidelity in Cloud servers, intent vs. process for output fidelity,
and the fundamental design ethos of the PWG's work
- perhaps have as a topic for the August F2F to enumerate core set of
concepts with which to construct an outline for the document
- Smith to add discussion of this late binding for the future F2F Plenary
- ACTION: Smith to send out screen captures of Wireshark before / after
updates to IPP mailing list
- IN PROGRESS - Smith sent note about Wireshark IPP commit status on 06/01
- ACTION: Smith to write an outline of the structure of Process 4.0 for SC
- ACTION: Smith to reach out to the two HP members of ISO US national body
on 3D Printing and Scanning and discuss PWG's offerings in this space and
Paul Tykodi's presence on the team as a representative of the PWG
- ACTION: Smith to request SC review of pwg-namespace-policy-20160820.txt
before an SC meeting
- ACTION: Smith to reach out to the 3MF officers to work on co-branding and PWG collaboration
- IN PROGRESS - Smith is working on this 05/25/17
- Smith reached out to 3MF Consortium officers about logo usage, not complete yet
- Smith to check in with Adrian about 3MF and PWG co-branding
- PWG members prototyping 3MF file with PWG PJT with IPP 3D attributes embedded
and we will review this prototype at the August F2F
- ACTION: Smith to ask PWG Webmaster to improve the SEO / searchability of
our website from well-known search engines (low priority)
- ACTION: Smith to follow up with Anne Price about press releases for
IPP/1.1 (RFC 8010 / 8011), IPP 3D Print, IPP Finishings/2.1, and
IPP Everywhere with certified products
- ACTION: Smith / Ira to ask Till if he can get an updated IPP Everywhere
logo on the Linux Foundation OpenPrinting page (the fixed logo with ™)
- IN PROGRESS - Smith, Ira, and Till are exchanging emails
- ACTION: Smith to ask Jane how he can converse directly with the lawyer
doing the filing to check on IPP Everywhere trademark. If that doesn't work,
plan is to move to a "™" on the "IPP Everywhere™" icon / trademark listing
and then wait for a suitable "specimen of use" to appear
- IN PROGRESS
- ACTION: Paul to write back to his AWS contact a discussion of what PWG is
actually trying to do, and decide on an appropriate path forward, because it
isn't clear that getting the PWG to have "advisor status" will help liaison
- ACTION: Jessica to review Process 3.0 and the policy docs to make sure they are congruent with ISTO legal / bylaws, and also update for
Process 4.0 so that our actions follow our process to a tee
- ACTION: Smith, Mike, Ira to complete offline review and updates to the
IPP Registration policy
- ACTION: Smith to add a slide on CUPS license change to November 2017 Plenary
- ACTION: Jessica / Smith to invite ISTO open source expert to SC meeting 12/07
to discuss CUPS and PWG license changes
- ACTION: Smith / Paul to find out mechanisms / processes for disseminating
AMSC info to PWG community other than individually