Subject: PWG> IETF vs PWG

From: Harry Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 10:45:34 -0400

I don't believe the IETF is hosting the IPP mailing list, are they?

>6. An active PWG group and an active IETF group should not share a
>mailing list.  It's too easy for the discussions to get confused.

Our list is hosted by a COMPANY who DONATES this service on behalf of
the PWG *and* IPP (and ultimately the consumer) - taking little or no
public credit. The PWG coordinators, officers and participating members
also *all* donate their time and effort toward the purpose of creating
standards to benefit the general public. If the IETF were to host the IPP
mailing list, would there be a charge ($) to the IPP members? If not,
perhaps this is the solution to separating PWG-IPP and IETF-IPP mailing
lists. Otherwise, I hope the IETF would not attempt to enforce a policy
which mandates funds (unto itself) from an otherwise autonomously
supported organization.

Harry Lewis - Speaking entirely as a private individual... as the IETF would
have it.

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 11:12:24 -0400

> I don't believe the IETF is hosting the IPP mailing list, are they?

Nope.  To my knowledge, IETF doesn't host *any* working group mailing
lists -- they're always hosted by interested members of the community
who donate the resources needed to support said lists.  None of these
lists charges a fee to be on the list.

However, since the working group mailing lists are where IETF conducts
its business, it's important that such business be clearly distinguished
from other traffic.  An occasional unofficial message of interest to the 
group doesn't hurt, but it does hurt to have ongoing discussions which
aren't apropos to the business of the working group.  The working group
chairs are expected to keep such discussion to a minimum.

If IBM no longer wishes to support the IPP working group in this
manner, I'm sure we can find another host for the IPP mailing list.

Keith

---

From: Jeff Schnitzer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 16:06:08 -0400

> > I don't believe the IETF is hosting the IPP mailing list, are they?
...omited portion...
> manner, I'm sure we can find another host for the IPP mailing list.

Keith,

  For the record:  
    It is Underscore that has donated support and hosts the various PWG
    and related [ but independent ;-) ] IETF mailing lists, FTP archive
    and Web(s).

/Jeff

---------------------------------------------------------------
Jeffrey D. Schnitzer      |   Email:  [email-masked] 
Underscore, Inc.          |   Voice:  (603) 889-7000
41-C Sagamore Park Rd     |     Fax:  (603) 889-2699   
Hudson, NH  03051-4915    |     Web:  http://www.underscore.com
---------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 16:19:05 -0400

>     and related [ but independent ;-) ] IETF mailing lists, FTP archive

Sorry.   I had been aware of that, but I forgot about it when I replied 
to Harry's message.

Thanks for your support!

Keith