Subject: PWG> Printer MIB comments

From: "Harry Lewis <[email-masked]>" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 96 16:22:17 MST

Sorry for these late comments but in reviewing the latest draft I noticed
the following:

1. Pg. 15 - With the new definition of Active, Busy/Temporarily Unavailable
   in the "table" below should probably be changed to Busy/Active

2. Pg. 57 - In the new definition of phone, fax and e-mail conventions for
   Operator and Service Person... we specify phone: fax: email:. I've been
   told the "colon" is not in international character in that it is not in
   the minimum Unicode set. I'm checking on this but, meanwhile, do we care
   in this instance?

   Also, should we specify in the convention what to do if you have a phone
   and e-mail but no fax (i.e. :: ?).

3. Pg. 58 - The description for prtGeneralAdminName makes it sound like the
   name of the Administrator. I probably missed something, here, but I thought
   this was the name assigned by the administrator to the printer! Anyway...
   if it really is the name of the administrator, then shouldn't it be in
   the "Responsible Parties" group?

4. Pg. 58 - prtGeneralSerialNumber has SYNTAX of PresentOnOff. This must
   be an error

5. Pg. 58 - prtAlertCriticalEvents. Should we clarify whether this value
   is supposed to persist or reset across power cycles?

   Also, the prtAlertEvent stuff we added seems like it would be much more
   useful if we also added something like...
   prtAlertMaxTableSize. Then, knowing the max number of entries a given
   printer could store and, keeping track of the new alert counters, it could
   be determined if any alerts were lost. Polling could presumable be adjusted.

   This may have to be in a future revision.

6. No one seems to have written any prtChannelInformation for chPortTCP (37/38)
   It seems like the port number would be very useful here. May I suggest?

   Port

   Keyword:      "Port"
   Syntax        HexString
   Status        Mandatory
   Multiplicity  Multiple

Harry Lewis - IBM Printing Systems