Subject: PWG> New JMP Job Identification Objects

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 18:07:05 -0800

Proposed Revision to the Job Identification MIB Objects as per my
action item from the November meeting.

The purpose of the Job Identification objects:

   The Job Identification Objects allow the user, operator, or the 
   system administrator to identify the print jobs of interest. 

   The Job Monitoring MIB needs to provide for identification of the 
   job at both sides of the process.  The primary identification point
   must be at the client side.  The client side identifiers allow the
   user to identify the job of interest from all the jobs currently
   "known" by the printer.  The client side identifers can be 
   assigned by either the client's local system or a downstream 
   server.  The point of assignment will be determined by the job 
   submission protocol in use.

   The printer side identifier will be assigned by the MIB agent that
   represents the printer.  This identifier is simply the value of
   jmJobIndex that defines the table rows (there are multiple tables)
   that contain the information relating to the job.  This object 
   allows the interested party to obtain all objects desired that 
   relate to this job.

   The current objects are, IMHO, confusing as to which side of the
   process they actually represent.  This was very evident in the
   discussion at the New Orleans meeting.  The following is my
   attempt to resolve this confusion.

The client side identifiers to be retained:

jmJobOwner
   jmJobName
   jmJobComment

Identifiers proposed to be removed.

   jmClientId
   jmJobUpstreamId
   jmJobCurrentId
   jmJobDownstreamId

New client side identifiers to replace the above:

jmJobIdName
  SYNTAX  Octet String (size(0..64))
  DESCRIPTION
     "Identifies the job on the client side of the printing process.  
     The format and method of generating this object is to be defined
     by the job submission protocol and is beyond the scope of this 
     document.

     This object can be used alone or in conjunction with the object
     jmJobIdNumber, depending upon the format of the job submission
     protocol client side identifier.  For example, the lpd job
     identifier normally contains three alpha characters followed 
     by a three digit number.  The alpha portion can be represented
     by jmJobIdName and the numeric portion by jmJobIdNumber.
     Alternatively, the id may be contained entirely in the 
     jmJobIdName object.  If this object is not used it must be
     returned as a null string (i.e. a string length of zero)."

     NOTE:  The final MIB document should contain an appendix that 
     defines how to map the parameters available in selected Job 
     Submission protocols to these MIB objects.)

jmJobIdNumber
SYNTAX  Octet String (size(0..64))
  DESCRIPTION
     "Identifies the job on the client side of the printing process.  
     The format and method of generating this object is to be defined
     by the job submission protocol and is beyond the scope of 
     this document.

     This object can be used alone or in conjunction with the object
     jmJobIdName, depending upon the format of the job submission
     protocol client side identifier.  Refer to jmJobIdName."

----------------------------------------------------------------------
	Ron Bergman
	Dataproducts Corp
	[email-masked]