Subject: PWG> SENSE on the agenda for January (Albuquerque)

From: JK Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 1996 21:14:52 -0500

During the course of the last several PWG meetings the time allotted
to the SENSE project has been given up (by myself) in favor of getting
the Job Monitoring MIB (JMP) project completed.

Now that the JMP project appears to be winding down (at least a bit),
and since SENSE has come a long way in the last year, I believe it's
imperative that a decent presentation and discussion on SENSE be held
at the upcoming PWG meeting in Albuquerque the first week in January.

Note that one of the primary motivating factors is that Tom Hastings
publicly called out for the need for a SENSE-like mechanism to support
certain critical aspects of the Job Monitoring MIB during the PWG BOF
last week.  Perhaps more importantly, when this need was discussed at
the BOF, Jeff Case (SNMP Research) commented that (in his opinion)
no existing SNMP-based mechanism really fit the described requirements
for event notification, particularly with respect to traps, etc.

Since a major motivation for the development of SENSE was to overcome
the problems associated with SNMP traps, it's high time SENSE is again
brought into focus within the PWG, particularly since a live, working
demo of the existing implementation will be used during the upcoming
Printer MIB interoperability testing in early February.  (This version
of the SENSE reference implementation goes way beyond what was shown
at the first PWG bake-off in Portland last July.)

Underscore is requesting four hours to present the work done to date,
and to discuss where the PWG would like to go from here with regard
to advancing SENSE as a standard.  The presentation/discussion could
be conducted as as morning session (in which case disinterested persons
can sleep in), or held as an afternoon session (which would allow for
extended discussions in the evening).

	...jay

----------------------------------------------------------------------
--  JK Martin               |  Email:   [email-masked]          --
--  Underscore, Inc.        |  Voice:   (603) 889-7000              --
--  41C Sagamore Park Road  |  Fax:     (603) 889-2699              --
--  Hudson, NH 03015-4915   |  Web:     http://www.underscore.com   --
----------------------------------------------------------------------