Subject: Re: PWG> Re: RESEND: IPP> Alta-Vista Forum: improved e-meeting approach for PWG, PMP, JMP, IPP, and SENSE?

From: Tom Hastings <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 14:14:34 PST

Jay,

Sorry for the bum URL. Try:

   http://altavista.forum.digital.com

There is no "-" in altavista.  The www is not necessary and using forum
directly, instead of software, gets you directly to the forum tower.

Thanks,
Tom

At 23:19 12/18/96 PST, JK Martin wrote:
>Tom,
>
>Well, I went to check out the URL you mentioned, and it doesn't
>exist.  At least there is no DNS record for this domain:
>
>	www.alta-vista.software.digital.com
>
>I went over to www.alta-vista.com and tried to locate the software
>using variations of "electronic business tower"...but got nothing
>but trash back.  (Sheesh, I *really* don't like using Alta Vista!)
>
>Perhaps you have another URL I can try?
>
>By the way, you wrote:
>
>> >I've recently learned of a tool that Digital offers, called Alta Vista
Forum.
>> >It provides a distributed structured electronic meeting capability.
>> >Its a web-based tool that allows threaded conversations to take place
>> >on any number of topics.  Any participant can add a new topic, such as
>> >an issue or a question or an action item.  Any participant can reply to
>> >the topic and a running thread is kept for each topic.  I used such a
>> >tool at Digital for 15 years called Notes (Lotus turned it into a product).
>
>I, too, have used "VAXnotes" for many years and have really come to love
>that product.  It is *so* much better than usenet news, etc.  It's a
>shame Digital never made (and marketed!) an improved GUI version of
>the original text product.
>
>However, you should note (no pun intended ;-) that there is absolutely
>no relationship between Digital's "VAXnotes" and Lotus' "Notes"
>products.
>Lotus developed that product on its own, and it has nothing whatsoever
>to do with the fine Digital product.  Just thought you might want to
>know.
>
>Let me know if you find any other pointers to the Alta Vista Forum
>and I'll try to look at it as soon as possible.  Thanks!
>-- 
>	...jay
>
>----------------------------------------------------------------------
>--  JK Martin               |  Email:   [email-masked]          --
>--  Underscore, Inc.        |  Voice:   (603) 889-7000              --
>--  41C Sagamore Park Road  |  Fax:     (603) 889-2699              --
>--  Hudson, NH 03015-4915   |  Web:     http://www.underscore.com   --
>----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>
>
>