Meeting called to order by Ira McDonald at 12pm US EDT 28 March 2012.
Minutes taken by Ira McDonald.
Recording of this conference call will be archived at:
- GSoc 2012 applications - student applications started on Saturday 17 March 2012 - 3 of 4 interested OPS students have already applied - student applications end on Friday 6 April 2012 - mentors evaluate applications start on Saturday 7 April 2012 - mentors evaluate applications end on Friday 20 April 2012 - GSoC announces accepted applications on Monday 23 April 2012 - GSoC 2012 spinup - students meet mentors, read docs, get up to speed - student spinup start on Tuesday 24 April 2012 - student spinup end on Sunday 20 May 2012 - GSoC 2012 development - student coding start on Monday 21 May 2012 - mentor mid-term evaluations start on Monday 9 July 2012 - mentor mid-term evaluations end on Friday 13 July 2012 - student 'pencils down' on Monday 20 August 2012 - mentor final evaluations end on Friday 24 August 2012 - GSoC announces final results on Monday 27 August 2012 - students submit code samples on Friday 31 August 2012 - ACTION - Till - contact Linux Foundation about Glen/Hin-Tak updates to GSoC projects - no website fall-backs allowed until late April - OPEN
- Storage for presentation slides ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/openprinting/summits/April2012_OPSummit - send slides to Ira or Glen if you need them uploaded - No evening session with OP Japan - no participation in evening call during OPS 2010 - Equipment - Conference phone w/ PWG bridge throughout meeting - Screencast sessions throughout meeting - Video projector - WiFi Internet access - Recordings of sessions will NOT be available - PWG bridge does not support recording (also not PWG policy) - ACTION - Till - contact Ghostscript and other color management folks as presenters (or send slides?) - Michael Vrhel (Artifex, Ghostscript) will attend OPS - OPEN - ACTION - All - Draft presentation slides/outlines for review 11 April - OPEN - ACTION - Presenters - tell Till EARLY about any special requirements (e.g., speakers for video, demo printers, etc.) - OPEN - ACTION - Presenters - send PDF slides to Till EARLY (or upload to OP) (so that participants can download slides as backup for screencast) - OPEN
- Ira as presenter w/ help from Glen Petrie - ACTION - Ira - draft OP Plenary slides by 11 April - Topics - summary of OP activities in last year - summary of GSoC 2012 activities and plans - summary of OP plans for current year (CPD, CMPC, JTAPI, etc.) - status of CUPS filters - current OP issues, challenges, and risks - OS neutral print models - weak security and integrity of Cloud Computing offerings - generic drivers replace vendor-specific drivers - new model of job ticket-based printing - Linux Printing in LSB 5.0? - Jeff Licquia as presenter or source?
- Presenter - Ira McDonald with help from Glen Petrie - Scope, new directions, new projects - scope of server, desktop, laptop, tablet, smartphone clients - Changing printing/multifunction paradigm - shift from drivers to services - shift from PDL-embedded instructions to job tickets - shift from enterprise infrastructure to shared infrastructure - Lightweight model for Print Service - for resource-constrained devices - Security - TLS transport layer end-to-end security - encrypted ZIP of PrintJob (job ticket, document(s), job receipt) - security of user identity and payment credentials in Cloud scenarios
- Will not be completed in Ubuntu 12.10 (October 2012) - First step may be to patch Open Office
- Note - US Daylight Savings Time started on Sunday 11 March 2012 - Note - Europe Summer Time started on Sunday 25 March 2012 - Wednesday 11 April 2012, Daytime - US 9am in San Francisco - US PDT (Pacific Daylight Time) 10am in Colorado - US MDT (Mountain Daylight Time) 11am in Chicago - US CDT (Central Daylight Time) 12pm in New York - US EDT (Eastern Daylight Time) - Europe 6pm in Berlin - CEST (Central European Summer Time) * Main Number (Till Kamppeter, LF, leader) International: +1-218-936-7999 Access Code: 491659#
- Note - OPS is NOT hosted by Linux Foundation Collaboration Summit - Tuesday to Friday 24-27 April 2012 at Apple in Cupertino, CA - US 9am in San Francisco - US PDT (Pacific Daylight Time) 10am in Colorado - US MDT (Mountain Daylight Time) 11am in Chicago - US CDT (Central Daylight Time) 12pm in New York - US EDT (Eastern Daylight Time) - Europe 6pm in Berlin - CEST (Central European Summer Time) * Main PWG Number (Mike Sweet, Apple, leader) US Toll-Free: +1-866-469-3239 International: +1-650-429-3300 Access Code: By request to Ira McDonald (do NOT publish)
- Note - Joint PWG/OPS is 24-27 April at Apple in Cupertino, CA - Note - Ubuntu Developer Summit is 7-11 May in Oakland, CA - Note - Ira has a conflict on 16 May - Wednesday 23 May 2012, Daytime - US 9am in San Francisco - US PDT (Pacific Daylight Time) 10am in Colorado - US MDT (Mountain Daylight Time) 11am in Chicago - US CDT (Central Daylight Time) 12pm in New York - US EDT (Eastern Daylight Time) - Europe 6pm in Berlin - CEST (Central European Summer Time) * Main Number (Till Kamppeter, LF, leader) International: +1-218-936-7999 Access Code: 491659#