Meeting called to order by Ira McDonald at 10am US Eastern. Minutes taken by Mike Sweet - many thanks!
- Discussion - See slides - No questions
- Discussion - See slides - GSoC 2020 Projects - 7 projects/students - 14 mentors - Linux GUI application (can be part of GNOME printer tool) to admin MF devices using IPP System Service - Common Print Dialog Backends (CPDB) Qt implementation - IPP Scan (or virtual MF device) server (Scanner Application) - General Printer Application SDK - Make Printer Applications configurable - Speed/scaling optimization of cups-browsed - Extract raster data from PDFs for direct printing - Linux Plumbers Conference 2019 - Lisbon, Portugal - 9-11 September 2019 - OP mini-summit - Aveek, Till, and Rithvik as speakers - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c_JaX4G7Zc - Linux Plumbers Conference 2020 - Halifax, CA - 25-27 August 2020 - OP proposal for a mini-conference was submitted - Aveek and Till as speakers - https://www.linuxplumbersconf.org/ - Linux Foundation - OP Community Bridge - opportunities for OP funding - https://funding.communitybridge.org/projects/open-printing
- Discussion - See slides - ippeveprinter - Has Mike been running the IPP Everywhere self-certs tools against ippeveprinter? - Yes, this was useful in testing both the tools and improving ippeveprinter - LPrint - Some issues with USB access due to differing permissions between Linux distros - May need to standardize how to grant access to printer applications - PAPPL - Is it just for printer applications or general ipp server? - Can be general ipp server, but the focus is on printer applications - Is PAPPL Framework a full print server? - No, but not much of a delta between a good IPP implementation and a server - Is this the future direction envisioned for CUPS? - Yes
- Discussion - See slides - MuPDF 1.17 released today (5 May 2020) - Mike Sweet to send Michael Vrhel a link to the three PDF 3D formats: U3D, PRC, and STEP
- Discussion - See slides - What filters? - Foomatic RIP, cups-filter, some closed-source stuff - Not Gutenprint - Working on ippusbxd? - Not currently, not having the issues reported elsewhere but confirmed the bug - Considering rewriting in Rust - Apple has a (closed source) HTTP state monitor - Mike Sweet will request if this HTTP state monitor can be made open source
- Discussion - See slides - Gutenprint question - How will this work? - Mike Sweet has talked with Robert Krawvitz and is mentoring the OP GSoC 2020 student - Mike Sweet will be working with the Gutenprint developers to develop the Gutenprint printer application