Meeting called to order by Ira McDonald at 12pm US Eastern on 14 June 2016. Minutes taken by Ira McDonald.
Recording of this conference call will be archived at:
- Till and his wife are settled into their new apartment in Belo Horizonte!
- Till is working with several printer manufacturers - Participating printer manufacturers didn't send updates this month - No further news/tests/changes/releases
- IPP Everywhere Self-Certification website opened 25 March 2016! - IPP Everywhere Self-Certification service is ONLY available to PWG members - Minor issues in ipptool scripts to be resolved soon - PWG Candidate Standard - PWG 5100.20-2016 - See 'PWG News' below - replaced license agreement with PWG members agreement for IPR - Published as PWG 5100.20 in February 2016 - PWG IPP Everywhere Test Tools for Self-Certification - ipptool - IPP Everywhere print protocol - Linux/Mac OS X/Windows - ippfind - IPP Everywhere Bonjour discovery - Linux/Mac OS X/Windows
- CUPS source code and bug reports are handled on GitHub now - https://github.com/apple/cups/ - CUPS release v2.2b1 on 14 June 2016 (Mike) - All CUPS commands now support POSIX options (Issue #4813) - The scheduler now restarts faster (Issue #4760) - Improved performance of web interface with large numbers of jobs (Issue #3819) - Encrypted printing can now be limited to only trusted printers and servers (<rdar://problem/25711658>) - The scheduler now advertises PWG Raster attributes for IPP Everywhere clients (Issue #4428) - The scheduler now logs informational messages for jobs at LogLevel "info" (Issue #4815) - The scheduler now uses the getgrouplist function when available (Issue #4611) - The IPP backend no longer enables compression by default except for certain raster formats that generally benefit from it (<rdar://problem/25166952>) - The scheduler did not handle out-of-disk situations gracefully (Issue #4742) - The LPD mini-daemon now detects invalid UTF-8 sequences in job, document, and user names (Issue #4748) - The IPP backend now continues on to the next job when the remote server/printer puts the job on hold (<rdar://problem /24858548>) - The scheduler did not cancel multi-document jobs immediately (<rdar://problem/24854834>) - The scheduler did not return non-shared printers to local clients unless they connected to the domain socket (<rdar://problem/24566996>) - The scheduler now reads the spool directory if one or more job cache entries point to deleted jobs (<rdar://problem /24048846>) - Added support for disc media sizes (<rdar://problem/20219536>) - The httpAddrConnect and httpConnect* APIs now try connecting to multiple addresses in parallel (<rdar://problem/20643153>) - The cupsd domain socket is no longer world-accessible on OS X (<rdar://problem/7542560>) - Interface scripts are no longer supported for security reasons (<rdar://problem/23135640>) - Added a new cupsHashData API and support for hashed job passwords (<rdar://problem/20221502>) - Localization fixes (<rdar://problem/25292403>, <rdar://problem/25461517>, Issue #4041, Issue #4796) - Documentation changes (Issue #4624, Issue #4781) - Packaging fixes (PR #4832) - CUPS release v2.1.4 on 14 June 2016 (Mike) - Fixed reporting of 1284 Device IDs (Issue #3835, PR #3836) - Fixed printing of multiple files to raw queues (Issue #4782) - The scheduler did not implement the Hold-New-Jobs opertion correctly (Issue #4767) - The ipptool program truncated values at 8k (Issue #4786) - The ipptool program did not correctly report uriScheme values in plist output (Issue #4785) - The cups-lpd mini-daemon incorrectly included the document-name attribute when creating a job. It should only be included when sending a job (Issue #4790) - USB quirk updates (Issue #4778, Issue #4789) - Documentation update (Issue #4772) - CUPS Filters principal changes (Till) - Added long-standing missing feature of page logging/accounting into the /var/log/cups/page_log file. - cups-browsed: Added debug logging into a file - cups-browsed: Fixed hang on system shutdown with systemd. - gstoraster: Exit with error status when Ghostscript errors out or crashes. - Bug fixes - Documentation fixes - CUPS Filters v1.9.1 release plans (Till) - foomatic-rip: Updated man page for removed page logging facility. - pdftops: Also added Dell to the list of manufacturers whose printers need Poppler's PostScript to work around their PostScript interpreter bugs (Debian bug #827040). - CUPS Filters v1.9.0 release on 9 June 2016 (Till) - foomatic-rip: Removed page logging via insertion of PostScript code. This works only with Ghostscript and PostScript input and even then it can break things or simply not work. We do the page logging for foomatic-rip in pdftopdf now, which is more universal and more reliable. - sys5ippprinter: Added page logging (to /var/log/cups/page_log) functionality. - pdftopdf: Added functionality for logging pages in the /var/log/cups/page_log file. Logging can also be forced or suppressed via command line (page-logging=on/off/auto) and page logging is also done for filters which should do but actually do not do: foomatic-rip, gstopxl, hpps (CUPS issue #4798, Ubuntu bug #1585380). - pdftopdf: Whitespace and indentation clean-up. - README: Removed the documentation of the old Poppler-based pdftopdf filter which is not included any more. - cups-browsed: Do not schedule failed operations for later repetition during shutdown. - cups-browsed: Added support for debug logging into a file (usually /var/log/cups/cups-browsed_log, to be activated via "-l" or "--logfile" option or via "DebugLogging file" option in cups-browsed.conf. - cups-browesd: Consistent use of debug_printf() in the LDAP support. - cups-browsed: Added "Requires=cups-service" to the cups-browsed.service file, so that systemd keeps CUPS running while shutting down cups-browsed on system shutdown (Ubuntu bug #1579905). - README: Extended pdftopdf documentation. - README: Added documentation for the pdfAutorotate option in pdftopdf. - gstoraster: Treat status output of the waitpid() function properly, to avoid gstoraster exiting with zero status when Ghostscript exited with non-zero status or got terminated by a signal (Bug #1354). - README: Fixed typos. Thanks to Pranjal Bhor (bhor dot pranjal at gmail dot com) for the patch. - braille: Recognize application/vnd.cups-pdf-banner MIME type and read standard input directly instead of using /dev/stdin. - braille: Drop output of the "type" command when checking the presence of helper utilities. - braille: Do not send EOF twice to the braille embosser. - cups-browsed/sys5ippprinter: Fixed documentation about the allowed input formats for auto-created network printer queues using sys5ippprinter, also improved NEWS entry about renaming of sys5ippprinter (Debian bug #819665).
- Open Printing projects for 2016 - Add muPDF support to CUPS Filters - Pranjal Bhor (from India) - Using the lightweight MuPDF PDF interpreter allows for a smaller and less resource-consuming printing stack on mobile devices and appliances. Work will consist of adding a rastertops filter, adding MuPDF support to the existing filters, and adding a facility to flatten filled forms in PDF files to static PDF content to assure filled in data will get printed. - STATUS - Nearly completed the rastertops filter Will probably be ready before midterm (next week, 20-27 June) - Communicating well with Till (mentor) and also with the upstream developers of Ghostscript (for PostScript-specific questions - Complete IPP discovery support in GTK Dialog - Kevin Naughton Jr. (from New York) - Find and list IPP network printers with their options without need of a running cupsd and/or cups-browsed. - STATUS - Also doing well, regularly asking questions to Till (mentor) and also communicating with Marek Kasik, original maintainer of the GTK print dialog - GSoC 2016 Schedule - 8-19 February - project proposals by mentors - 29 February - GSoC approves mentoring organizations - 29 February to 13 March - Students discuss GSoC projects - 14-25 March - Students apply for GSoC projects - 25 April - GSoC approved projects/students - Two OP students accepted - Pranjal Bhor (from India) - muPDF integration in CUPS Filters - Kevin Naughton Jr. (from New York) - GTK IPP discovery dialog updates - 23 May - GSoC coding begins (10% of funds released) - 20-27 June - GSoC mid-term evaluations (45% of funds released) - 15-22 August - GSoC "pencils down" - 30 August - GSoC results announced (45% of funds released)
- Impact on distribution-independent drivers from Open Printing - topic was discussed during PWG/OP Summit in April - Till is looking into keeping up the LSB at least for Ubuntu 16.04 LTS - but after that new ways of distribution-indpendent printer driver packages must be found - Approaches? - partially static linking, not completely statically linking - completely static linking with a replacement for libcACTION: Till and Ira draft new content for Open Printing website that explains the various approaches to distribution-independent drivers without dependencies on LSB (i.e., advantages and drawbacks) and also describes the approach of PPD-based drivers (for legacy printers that support a standard printer language - PDF, PostScript, PCL)
- PWG in Camas, WA (Sharp host) - 23-24 August 2016 - http://www.pwg.org/chair/meeting-info/august-2016-camas.html - IPP Everywhere Self-Certification - PWG 5100.20-2016 - IPP Everywhere Self-Certification website opened 25 March 2016! - IPP Everywhere Self-Certification service is ONLY available to PWG members - REQUIRED for PWG IPP Everywhere Logo usage - REQUIRED for Mopria Alliance - REQUIRED for WiFi Direct Print Service - http://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/candidates/cs-ippeveselfcert10-20160219-5100.20.pdf - https://www.pwg.org/ippeveselfcert - replaced license agreement with PWG members agreement for IPR - Published as PWG 5100.20 in February 2016 - IETF IPP/1.1 Updates (Mike/Ira) - Stable drafts - https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-sweet-rfc2910bis-07.txt - https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-sweet-rfc2911bis-09.txt - changes for new IETF Proposed Standards - 2910bis and 2911bis reviewed by PWG F2F on 04/26/16 - Mike to fix in future IETF draft double references to pwg.org - Ira sent to Barry Leiba on 05/25/16 - Alexey Melnikov (IETF ART AD) as AD sponsor on 06/02/16 - both specs moved to IETF stream on 06/03/16 - Barry Leiba as Document Shepherd on 06/09/16 - Alexey Melnikov sent AD review of RFC2910bis on 06/07/16 - RFC2910bis into IETF Last Call on 06/13/16 - Schedule - IETF Last Call in Q2/Q3 2016 - IPP System Service (Mike/Ira) - Interim draft - http://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/wd/wd-ippsystem10-20160612-rev.pdf - IPP WG review on 05/09/16 - Schedule - Prototype draft in Q3/Q4 2016 - IPP 3D Printing Extensions - Prototype draft - http://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/wd/wd-ipp3d10-20160430-rev.pdf - PWG F2F review on 04/27/16 - Schedule - Stable draft in Q3/Q4 2016 - IPP Finishings 2.1 (Smith) - Interim draft - http://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/wd/wd-ippfinishings21-20160509-rev.pdf - PWG F2F review on 04/27/16 - Schedule - PWG Call for Objections in Q3/Q4 2016
- Trusted Computing Group in Vienna, Austria - 20-24 June 2016 - http://www.trustedcomputinggroup.org/ - PWG F2F in Camas, WA (Sharp host) - 23-24 August 2016 - http://www.pwg.org/chair/meeting-info/august-2016-camas.html - https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/KBRXD9S (RSVP attendee survey) - Trusted Computing Group in Seoul, South Korea - 17-21 October 2016 - http://www.trustedcomputinggroup.org/ - PWG F2F in Lexington, KY (Lexmark host) - 8-9 November 2016 - Note: Conflicts w/ US Election Day - to be rescheduled ASAP - http://www.pwg.org/chair/meeting-info/meetings.html - Joint PWG/OP Summit in Silicon Valley, CA (Apple Host) - April 2017 - tentative consensus in PWG Steering Committee on 05/26/16
Open Action Items
Next OP US/Europe/Brazil Conference Calls
- Tuesday 12 July 2015, Daytime - US 9am in San Francisco - US PDT (Pacific Daylight Time) 10am in Colorado - US MDT (Mountain Daylight Time) 11am in Chicago - US CDT (Central Daylight Time) 12pm in New York - US EDT (Eastern Daylight Time) - Europe 6pm in Berlin - CEST (Central Europe Summer Time) - Brazil 1pm in Belo Horizonte - BRT (Brasilia Time) US: +1 641-715-3814 - NEW NUMBER in US started in November 2015 Germany: +49 (0) 221 98203421 Brazil: +55 61 4040-4460 Japan: +81 (0) 3-5050-5070 Participant Access Code: 622393# (note that local numbers for many other countries are available, also cellphone apps, VOIP support, etc. - please email Till for details)
- Tuesday 9 August 2015, Daytime - US 9am in San Francisco - US PDT (Pacific Daylight Time) 10am in Colorado - US MDT (Mountain Daylight Time) 11am in Chicago - US CDT (Central Daylight Time) 12pm in New York - US EDT (Eastern Daylight Time) - Europe 6pm in Berlin - CEST (Central Europe Summer Time) - Brazil 1pm in Belo Horizonte - BRT (Brasilia Time) US: +1 641-715-3814 - NEW NUMBER in US started in November 2015 Germany: +49 (0) 221 98203421 Brazil: +55 61 4040-4460 Japan: +81 (0) 3-5050-5070 Participant Access Code: 622393# (note that local numbers for many other countries are available, also cellphone apps, VOIP support, etc. - please email Till for details)
- 7 September is a Brazilian holiday for Till