Meeting called to order by Ira McDonald at 12pm US Eastern on 10 May 2016. Minutes taken by Ira McDonald.
Recording of this conference call will be archived at:
- Till and his wife moved to their new apartment in Belo Horizonte - congratulations!
- Till reactivated our participation as a mentor organization - Till deleted 3 projects that were already completed elsewhere - No students have applied for OP projects so far - VALS SoS expected to be open until end of year
- Till is working with several printer manufacturers - Participating printer manufacturers didn't send updates this month - No further news/tests/changes/releases
- Impact on distribution-independent drivers from Open Printing - topic for PWG/OP Summit discussion - Till is looking into keeping up the LSB at least for Ubuntu 16.04 LTS - but after that new ways of distribution-indpendent printer driver packages must be found - Approaches? - partially static linking, not completely statically linking - completely static linking with a replacement for libc
- IPP Everywhere Self-Certification website opened 25 March 2016! - IPP Everywhere Self-Certification service is ONLY available to PWG members - Minor issues in ipptool scripts to be resolved soon - PWG Candidate Standard - PWG 5100.20-2016 - See 'PWG News' below - replaced license agreement with PWG members agreement for IPR - Published as PWG 5100.20 in February 2016 - PWG IPP Everywhere Test Tools for Self-Certification - ipptool - IPP Everywhere print protocol - Linux/Mac OS X/Windows - ippfind - IPP Everywhere Bonjour discovery - Linux/Mac OS X/Windows
- CUPS CUPS source code and bug reports are handled on GitHub now - https://github.com/apple/cups/ - CUPS release v2.1.3 on 5 February 2016 (Mike) - The default password function did not work on some platforms (STR #4750) - The scheduler should not exit under memory pressure (<rdar://problem/23255001>) - The EPL2 and ZPL sample drivers did not properly support the CutMedia option. - Pending subscriptions would prevent the scheduler from idle exiting (STR #4754) - Fixed some issues in ipptool for skipped tests (<rdar://problem/24137160>) - The "lp -H resume" command did not reset the "job-state-reasons" attribute value (STR #4752) - The scheduler did not allow access to resource files (icons, etc.) when the web interface was disabled (STR #4755) - Localization fix (STR #4756) - CUPS Filters 1.8.4 release plans (Till) - README: Fixed typos. Thanks to Pranjal Bhor (bhor dot pranjal at gmail dot com) for the patch. - braille: Recognize application/vnd.cups-pdf-banner MIME type and read standard input directly instead of using /dev/stdin. - braille: Drop output of the "type" command when checking the presence of helper utilities. - braille: Do not send EOF twice to the braille embosser. - cups-browsed/sys5ippprinter: Fixed documentation about the allowed input formats for auto-created network printer queues using sys5ippprinter, also improved NEWS entry about renaming of sys5ippprinter (Debian bug #819665). - CUPS Filters v1.8.3 release on 23 March 2016 (Till) - cups-browsed: When creating or modifying a local print queue set the printer-is-shared bit to false in a separate IPP request as this operation errors on queues directly pointing to remote CUPS queues with the IPP backend. This way we can ignore the error and assure that all other settings are applied (Ubuntu bug #1560099). - Fixed pkg-config support so that $PKG_CONFIG gets used and cross compilation works (Bug #1347). - gstoraster: Put conversion rules for this filter into a separate file, so that they do not get installed when we build without Ghostscript support (Bug #1346). - Allow disabling dependencies on IJS (Bug #1345). - pdftops: Switch to Poppler as PDF renderer also for the Apple LaserWriter 12/640, to work around a bug in the printer's PostScript interpreter (Bug #1344).
- GSoC did not accept Linux Foundation as a mentor for 2015 - many *new* organizations were accepted instead - Till sent in mentor application for Linux Foundation - accepted! - added project descriptions - reused applicable project ideas from last year - Open Printing projects for 2016 - Add muPDF support to CUPS Filters - Pranjal Bhor (from India) - Using the lightweight MuPDF PDF interpreter allows for a smaller and less resource-consuming printing stack on mobile devices and appliances.Work will consist of adding a rastertops filter, adding MuPDF support to the existing filters, and adding a facility to flatten filled forms in PDF files to static PDF content to assure filled in data will get printed. - Complete IPP discovery support in GTK Dialog - Kevin Naughton Jr. (from New York) - Find and list IPP network printers with their options without need of a running cupsd and/or cups-browsed. - Linux Foundation - all projects for 2016 - 17 useful applications w/ mentor volunteers - GSoC 2016 Schedule - 8-19 February - project proposals by mentors - 29 February - GSoC approves mentoring organizations - 29 February to 13 March - Students discuss GSoC projects - 14-25 March - Students apply for GSoC projects - 25 April - GSoC approved projects/students - Two OP students accepted - Pranjal Bhor (from India) - muPDF integration in CUPS Filters - Kevin Naughton Jr. (from New York) - GTK IPP discovery dialog updates - 23 May - GSoC coding begins - 20-27 June - GSoC mid-term evaluations - 15-22 August - GSoC "pencils down" - 30 August - GSoC results announced
- OP Summit was 10th anniversary from Atlanta 2006 - Till & Ira searched for updated 2006 attendee email addresses - OP Plenary (Ira McDonald - http://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/general/Plenary/pwg-plenary-april-2016.pdf - CUPS Plenary (Mike Sweet) - http://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/openprinting/presentations/cups-plenary-april-16.pdf - OP CUPS Filters (Till Kamppeter) - http://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/openprinting/presentations/cups-filters-2016.pdf - OP Mobile Printing (Till Kamppeter) - http://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/openprinting/presentations/mobile-printing-2016.pdf - OP Status of Ghostscript/muPDF (Michael Vrhel) - http://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/openprinting/presentations/OpenPrint_GhostScript_April_2016.pdf - OP Enterprise Printing Experience (Aveek Basu) - http://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/openprinting/presentations/OpenPrinting_Enterprise_Print_April_2016.pdf - OP Distro-Independent Printer Driver Packages (Till Kamppeter) - http://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/openprinting/presentations/distro-independent-packages-2016.pdf - OP Summit was 10th anniversary from Atlanta 2006 - Till & Ira searched for updated attendee email addresses
- PWG/OP Summit in Boise, ID (HP host) - 26-28 April 2016 - http://www.pwg.org/chair/meeting-info/april-2016-boise.html - Note - swapped Apple and HP meetings in February and April - IPP Everywhere Self-Certification - PWG 5100.20-2016 - IPP Everywhere Self-Certification website opened 25 March 2016! - IPP Everywhere Self-Certification service is ONLY available to PWG members - REQUIRED for PWG IPP Everywhere Logo usage - REQUIRED for Mopria Alliance - REQUIRED for WiFi Direct Print Service - http://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/candidates/cs-ippeveselfcert10-20160219-5100.20.pdf - https://www.pwg.org/ippeveselfcert - replaced license agreement with PWG members agreement for IPR - Published as PWG 5100.20 in February 2016 - IETF IPP/1.1 Updates (Mike/Ira) - Stable drafts - https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-sweet-rfc2910bis-07.txt - https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-sweet-rfc2911bis-09.txt - changes for updated IETF Proposed Standard - Barry Leiba (IETF ART AD) will be AD sponsor - note on 07/12/15 - 2910bis/2911bis reviewed by PWG F2F on 04/27/16 - Ira to send RFC 2910bis and 2911bis to IETF for review - Schedule - IETF Last Call in Q3/Q4 2016 - IPP System Service (Mike/Ira) - Interim draft - http://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/wd/wd-ippsystem10-20160509-rev.pdf - IPP WG review on 05/09/16 - Schedule - Prototype draft in Q3/Q4 2016 - IPP 3D Printing Extensions - Prototype draft - http://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/wd/wd-ipp3d10-20160430-rev.pdf - PWG F2F review on 04/27/16 - Schedule - Stable draft in Q3/Q4 2016 - IPP Finishings 2.1 (Smith) - Interim draft - http://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/wd/wd-ippfinishings21-20160509-rev.pdf - PWG F2F review on 04/27/16 - Schedule - PWG Call for Objections in Q3/Q4 2016
- Trusted Computing Group in Vienna, Austria - 20-24 June 2016 - http://www.trustedcomputinggroup.org/ - PWG Summit in Camas, WA (Sharp host) - 23-24 August 2016 - http://www.pwg.org/chair/meeting-info/meetings.html - ACTION: Ira to query PWG SC about 2017 meetings - PWG/OPS in April at Apple?
Open Action Items
Next OP US/Europe/Brazil Conference Calls
- Tuesday 14 June 2015, Daytime - US 9am in San Francisco - US PDT (Pacific Daylight Time) 10am in Colorado - US MDT (Mountain Daylight Time) 11am in Chicago - US CDT (Central Daylight Time) 12pm in New York - US EDT (Eastern Daylight Time) - Europe 6pm in Berlin - CEST (Central Europe Summer Time) - Brazil 1pm in Belo Horizonte - BRT (Brasilia Time) US: +1 641-715-3814 - NEW NUMBER in US started in November 2015 Germany: +49 (0) 221 98203421 Brazil: +55 61 4040-4460 Japan: +81 (0) 3-5050-5070 Participant Access Code: 622393# (note that local numbers for many other countries are available, also cellphone apps, VOIP support, etc. - please email Till for details)
- Tuesday 12 July 2015, Daytime - US 9am in San Francisco - US PDT (Pacific Daylight Time) 10am in Colorado - US MDT (Mountain Daylight Time) 11am in Chicago - US CDT (Central Daylight Time) 12pm in New York - US EDT (Eastern Daylight Time) - Europe 6pm in Berlin - CEST (Central Europe Summer Time) - Brazil 1pm in Belo Horizonte - BRT (Brasilia Time) US: +1 641-715-3814 - NEW NUMBER in US started in November 2015 Germany: +49 (0) 221 98203421 Brazil: +55 61 4040-4460 Japan: +81 (0) 3-5050-5070 Participant Access Code: 622393# (note that local numbers for many other countries are available, also cellphone apps, VOIP support, etc. - please email Till for details)
- 2 August is a schedule conflict for Ira
- 7 September is a Brazilian holiday for Till