Meeting called to order by Ira McDonald at 1pm US Eastern 10 February 2015. Minutes taken by Ira McDonald.
Recording of this conference call will be archived at:
- Ubuntu Vivid (15.04) and Debian Experimental - Ubuntu Vivid feature freeze on Thursday 19 February 2015 - Switched to CUPS 2.0.2 - CUPS 2.0.2 - cups-filters 1.0.64 - ghostscript 9.15 - system-config-printer 1.5.5
- No update (Till) - VALS opened a new student application period on 15 January 2015 - Till submitted all Open Printing projects from GSoC 2014 - Till thinks we are unlikely to find a student - Different incentives than GSoC - Students work for academic credit and NOT for money - Less strict than GSoC about accepting mentoring organizations
(2) 2015 Joint PWG / Open Printing Summit (Ira/Till)
- Invitations to OPS Speakers (Till) - Till sent invitations to key speakers in early January - ACTION: Till follow-up to speakers in January and February - Joint PWG/OPS in Cupertino, CA (Apple host) - 28 April to 1 May 2015 - 2015 PWG/OPS - 28 April to 1 May - Cupertino, CA (hosted by Apple) - excellent room, audio, and video equipment - excellent Internet WiFi connectivity - excellent food and beverages - 2014 Joint PWG/OPS Issues - Schedule - late changes in OPS agenda topic dates and times - disrupted attendee travel plans for other PWG and OPS topics - Room and equipment - noisy room (food service) - no satellite microphones - difficult for call-in attendees to hear presenters - 2015 Open Printing Summit Planning Cycle - December 2014 to January 2015 - OPS topic selection - DONE - February 2015 - OPS speaker recruitment - 3 March 2015 - OPS speaker commitments (dates/times) - 10 March 2015 - OPS speakers and times sent to Mike Sweet (PWG Chair)
- Prototype draft - See 'PWG News' below - HP prototype reports on 8 & 14 January 2015 - Schedule - PWG Last Call Q1 2015 - waiting for update by Mike - Beta tools - beta release of tools (OS X, Linux) on 28 August 2014 - beta release of tools (Windows) on 2 September 2014 - beta testing of tools and certification process in progress - Schedule - PWG Last Call Q1 2015 - PWG IPP Everywhere Test Tools for Self-Certification - ipptool - IPP Everywhere print protocol - Linux/Mac OS X/Windows - ippfind - IPP Everywhere Bonjour discovery - Linux/Mac OS X/Windows
- CUPS Filters v1.0.65 release on 13 February 2015 (Till) - cups-browsed: Listen for NetworkManager changes (Red Hat bug #975933). - cups-browsed: Fix for memory leak introduced in BZR rev 7059. - cups-browsed: Memory leak/uninit fixes. - cups-browsed: Cache prepared browse data to send. - cups-browsed: Only get local notifications once per BrowsePoll run. - cups-browsed: Fix BrowsePoll now notifications work properly. Need to maintain a list of printers to keep alive for the case of there being no notifications of changes. - cups-browsed: Use local browsepolling for getting initial printer list. - cups-browsed: Ignore browse packets for deleted printers. - cups-browsed: Cache connection to local cupsd. - cups-browsed: Use notifications to track local printers. This avoids expensive calls to cupsGetDests(). - cups-browsed: Manage subscriptions for local browsepolling. - cups-browsed: Track notify-sequence-number for notifications. - CUPS Filters v1.0.64 release on 13 February 2015 (Till) - cups-browsed: Added PPD file generator for IPP Everywhere printers. If auto-setup of discovered IPP printers is activated ("CreateIPPPrinterQueues Yes" in cups-browsed.conf), the printer provides suitable capability information via a Get-Printer-Attributes IPP call, and prints PWG or PostScript input, a PPD is auto-generated based on the Get-Printer-Attributes IPP response. Otherwise a System-V interface script is used as befreo. Advantage of the PPD file is that current print dialogs aloow access to the options, no IPP request done by the dialog is required. The PPD generator code is borrowed from the CUPS 2.1.x development code repository. It will perhaps be removed in the future when CUPS provides proper API function for its PPD generator. - CUPS Filters v1.0.63 release on 11 February 2015 (Till) - foomatic-rip: Added hint to man page that direct, spooler-less mode is mainly for testing and debugging (Bug #1253). - foomatic-rip: Added a symlink of the filter to the binary executable directory (usually /usr/bin), so that LSB compliance test scripts work (Bug #1255). - cups-browsed: Fixed CUPS Browsing timeouts. Thanks to Tim Waugh from Red Hat for the patch (Bug #1252, Red Hat bug #1189254).
- All GSoC 2014 OP projects submitted (Till) - https://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/gsoc/ google-summer-code-2015-openprinting-projects - Application Phase - 9-20 February - Mentoring organization submit applications - 23-27 February - GSoC admins review mentor applications - 3-15 March - Students submit proposals - 28 March to 13 April - Mentors review/rank student proposals - 15-21 April - Mentors trade slot allocations - 21 April - First round of de-duplication of proposals - 27 April - GSoC 2015 announces chosen students - Development Phase - 28 April to 25 May - Community bonding (mentors & students) - 25 May - Students begin coding (pencils up) - 26 June - Mentors and students start mid-term evaluations - 3 July - Mentors and students end mid-term evaluations - 17 August - Students stop coding (pencils down) - 21 August - Students must stop coding - Evaluation Phase - 28 August - Mentors and students end final evaluations - 28 August - Students begin submissions of code samples - 31 August - GSoC 2015 announces final results - 25 September - Students stop submissions of code samples
- PWG Meeting in El Segundo, CA (Xerox host) - 3-5 February 2015 - http://www.pwg.org/chair/meeting-info/february_2015_elsegundo.html - IPP Scan Service (Push/Pull Network Scan) - PWG Candidate Standard - http://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/candidates/ cs-ippscan10-20140918-5100.17.pdf - published as PWG 5100.17-2014 on 11/06/14 - IPP Finishings 2.0 - PWG Candidate Standard - http://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/candidates/ cs-ippfinishings20-20141219-5100.1.pdf - published as PWG 5100.1-2014 on 01/06/15 - IETF IPP over HTTPS and 'ipps' URI Scheme - Stable draft - REQUIRED for IPP Everywhere - Sponsored as IETF standards-track spec by Barry Leiba (Apps AD) - http://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/wd/ draft-mcdonald-ipps-uri-scheme-18-20141218.pdf - Stable draft - updated per IESG Approval comments on 12/04/14 - IETF standards-track sponsored by Barry Leiba (IETF Apps AD) - IESG approved on 01/07/2015 - IANA approved on 01/12/15 - RFC Editor Queue - waiting for RFC Editor comments - IETF LDAP Printer Schema - Stable draft - RECOMMENDED for IPP Everywhere - Sponsored as IETF Informational spec by Nevil Brownlee (RFC Editor) - http://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/wd/ draft-mcdonald-ldap-printer-schema-10-20150129.pdf - Stable draft - updated per IANA (Alexey M) comments on 12/16/14 - IANA approved on 02/06/15 - RFC Editor Independent Stream - IESG telechat topic on 02/19/15 - IPP Shared Infrastructure Extensions (INFRA) - Stable draft - http://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/wd/wd-ippinfra10-20141118.pdf - Stable draft - Apple prototype report on 11/04/14 - IPP WG last call ended on 12/05/14 - Schedule - PWG Last Call ends 02/20/15 - IPP System Service (SYSTEM) - Interim draft - http://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/wd/wd-ippsystem10-20141102-rev.pdf - PWG F2F review on 11/04/14 - Need to add - Resource Service operations (from PWG 5108.03-2009) - Register/Deregister (for Cloud Model and IPP INFRA) - Get-Printer-Attributes (redirect to default IPP Printer) - IPP WG review on 02/03/15 - Schedule - PWG Last Call in Q3/Q4 2015 - IPP Everywhere Self-Certification - Prototype draft - REQUIRED for PWG IPP Everywhere Logo usage - REQUIRED for Mopria Alliance - REQUIRED for WiFi Direct Print Service - http://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/wd/ wd-ippeveselfcert10-20140826-rev.pdf - HP prototype reports on 01/08/15 and 01/14/15 - PWG F2F review on 02/04/15 - IPP WG to review on 01/19/15 - Schedule - PWG Last Call to span PWG F2F in April/May 2015 - IPP Implementors Guide v2.0 (Best Practices) - Prototype draft - http://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/wd/wd-ig-20141113-rev.pdf - note filename is wrong - should be "wd-ippig20-..." - PWG F2F review on 08/14/14 - IPP WG review on 01/05/15 - stopped before section 10 - Schedule - PWG Last Call to span PWG F2F in April/May 2015 - HCD Health Assessment TNC Binding - Prototype draft - http://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ids/wd/wd-idstnc10-20140508-rev.pdf - PWG status on 02/05/14 - needs batch/component for each attribute - Waiting for update by Ira to align w/ PB-TNC (RFC 5793) - Schedule - PWG Last Call in Q3/Q4 2015
- Trusted Computing Group in San Diego, CA - 23-27 February 2015 - http://www.trustedcomputinggroup.org/ - Joint PWG/OPS in Cupertino, CA (Apple host) - 28 April to 1 May 2015 - http://www.pwg.org/chair/meeting-info - Trusted Computing Group in Edinburgh, Scotland - 15-19 June 2015 - http://www.trustedcomputinggroup.org/
Open Action Items
Next OP US/Europe Conference Calls
- Note - US Daylight Savings Time starts 8 March 2015 - Note - Europe Summer Time starts 29 March 2015 - Note - complete recruiting OPS speakers for April Joint PWG/OPS - Note - send final OPS topics and speakers list to PWG for agenda - Tuesday 10 March 2015, Daytime - US 10am in San Francisco - US PDT (Pacific Daylight Time) 11am in Colorado - US MDT (Mountain Daylight Time) 12pm in Chicago - US CDT (Central Daylight Time) 1pm in New York - US EDT (Eastern Daylight Time) - Europe 6pm in Berlin - CET (Central Europe Time) * Main Number (Till Kamppeter, LF, leader) International: +1-619-326-2730 (new number) Access Code: 491659#
- Note - US Daylight Savings Time starts 8 March 2015 - Note - Europe Summer Time starts 29 March 2015 - Note - resolve any issues for April Joint PWG/OPS - Tuesday 7 April 2015, Daytime - US 10am in San Francisco - US PDT (Pacific Daylight Time) 11am in Colorado - US MDT (Mountain Daylight Time) 12pm in Chicago - US CDT (Central Daylight Time) 1pm in New York - US EDT (Eastern Daylight Time) - Europe 7pm in Berlin - CEST (Central Europe Summer Time) * Main Number (Till Kamppeter, LF, leader) International: +1-619-326-2730 (new number) Access Code: 491659#