Meeting called to order by Ira McDonald at 1pm US Eastern 7 October 2014. Minutes taken by Ira McDonald.
Extraordinary problems w/ conference bridge stopped call early. Also Till's cable service had apparent problems with voice calls. To be resolved in November.
Recording of this conference call will be archived at:
- No update for October 2014 - student applications until 14 November - Till has submitted all Open Printing projects from GSoC 2014 - Different incentives than GSoC - Students work for academic credit and NOT for money - Less strict than GSoC about accepting mentoring organizations - Only European universities approved by VALS can participate - Students must talk with their professors and get projects approved - VALS 2014/2015 Schedule - DONE - 1 August to 16 September 2014 - FOSS mentors submit projects - 17 September to 14 November - students submit proposals - 17 September to 21 November - VALS/mentors select proposals - 28 November - VALS announces final selection of proposals - NO FIXED PROJECT DEADLINES - choice is up to mentors, professors, and students
(2) 2015 Joint PWG / Open Printing Summit (Ira/Till)
- Joint PWG/OPS in Cupertino, CA (Apple host) - 28 April to 1 May 2015 - 2015 PWG/OPS - 28 April to 1 May - Cupertino, CA (hosted by Apple) - excellent room, audio, and video equipment - excellent Internet WiFi connectivity - excellent food and beverages - 2014 Joint PWG/OPS Issues - Schedule - late changes in OPS agenda topic dates and times - disrupted attendee travel plans for other PWG and OPS topics - Room and equipment - noisy room (food service) - no satellite microphones - difficult for call-in attendees to hear presenters - 2015 Open Printing Summit Planning Cycle - December 2014 to January 2015 - OPS topic selection - February 2015 - OPS speaker recruitment - 3 March 2015 - OPS speaker commitments (dates/times) - 10 March 2015 - OPS speakers and times sent to Mike Sweet (PWG Chair)
- Prototype draft - PWG reviewed on 13 August 2014 - PWG Last Call in Q4 2015 - beta release of tools (OS X, Linux, Windows) on 2 September 2014 - beta testing of tools and certification process in progress - PWG IPP Everywhere Test Tools for Self-Certification - ipptool - IPP Everywhere print protocol - Linux/Mac OS X/Windows - ippfind - IPP Everywhere Bonjour discovery - Linux/Mac OS X/Windows
- Final version completed and submitted by Daniel Dressler - added to CUPS Filters v... (Till) - committed for Ubuntu Utopic (14.10) release - IPPUSBXD is feature complete and debugged - added version number (per Till) - fixed issues in system-config-printer (per Tim Waugh) - completed AppArmor profile (syntax is clear and logical) - abandoned SELinux profile (syntax is obscure - for experts only) - IPPUSBXD will go into Ubuntu 14.10 (Utopic Unicorn) - Till commited before feature-freeze on Thursday 21 August - bundled in CUPS Filters - quick path to Ubuntu (short-term) - later Ubuntu and Debian releases - new separate package (long-term)
- CUPS Filters v1.0.61 planned for 7 or 8 October 2014 (Till) - Use cupsFilter2 keyword in PPD files, so that IPP backend gets informed about the data format in use and so passes on IPP attributes to the printer. - Set cupsManualCopies as default in generic PPD files, as even PDF printers do not all support hardware copies. - Use software copies also in PPD-less printing. - CUPS Filters v1.0.60 release 6 October 2014 (Till) - current in Utopic - cups-browsed, pdftoippprinter: Do not confuse the PDL "PCLm" with "PCL". The former is a proprietary, PDF-based raster format and has nothing to do with PCL. - cupsfilters.drv: Corrected the CMD: field of the device ID, it must read "PWGRaster" there to conform to the PWG standard. - CUPS Filters v1.0.59 release 26 September 2014 (Till) - cupsfilters.drv: Added PPD file for a Generic IPP Everywhere Printer, generating PWG Raster output. - gstoraster, pdftoraster, imagetoraster: Allow PWG Raster output with print queues using a PPD file, using the new "PWGRaster" PPD attribute. - pdftoraster: Removed "cm_disabled" flag in selectConvFunc() - libcupsfilters: Allowed color management to continue while invalid input - rastertopdf: Streamlined PDF conversion code - rastertopdf: Invert all CUPS_CSPACE_K documents by default - foomatic-rip: Clean trailing white space from PPD file lines to avoid a segfault caused by it (Bug #1227).
- More discussion next month on OP project planning
- IPP Scan Service (Push/Pull Network Scan) - Stable draft - http://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/wd/wd-ippscan10-20140917.pdf - PWG Formal Vote (start 18 September 2014 / end 17 October 2014) - IPP Finishings 2.0 - Stable draft - http://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/wd/wd-ippfinishings20-20140701.pdf - PWG Last Call - ended 12 September 2014 - successful - 11 Responses (quorum was 10) - 82 Comments (mostly editorial) - ready for PWG F2F review - PWG Formal Vote in mid-November - IPP System Control Service (SYSTEM) - Interim draft - http://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/wd/wd-ippsystem10-20140824.pdf - IPP WG reviewed on 09/29/14 - PWG Last Call in Q2 2015 - IETF IPP over HTTPS and 'ipps' URI Scheme - working draft - REQUIRED for IPP Everywhere - http://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/wd/ draft-mcdonald-ipps-uri-scheme-14-20140928.pdf - sent to RFC Editor for Independent Stream - 09/28/14 - IETF LDAP Printer Schema - working draft - RECOMMENDED for IPP Everywhere - http://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/wd/ draft-mcdonald-ldap-printer-schema-09-20140928.pdf - sent to RFC Editor for Independent Stream - 09/28/14 - Document Stream: ISE - ISE State: Finding Reviewers - 10/06/14 - IPP Shared Infrastructure Extensions (INFRA) - Prototype draft - http://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/wd/wd-ippsix10-20140226-rev.pdf - PWG reviewed on 12 August 2014 - PWG Last Call in Q1 2015 - Apple prototype in progress - aligned w/ PWG Cloud Model - to be renamed to "IPPINFRA" (to avoid IPP version confusion) - IPP Everywhere Self-Certification - Prototype draft - REQUIRED for PWG IPP Everywhere Logo usage - REQUIRED for Mopria Alliance and WiFi Direct Print Service - http://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/wd/ wd-ippeveselfcert10-20140826-rev.pdf - PWG reviewed on 13 August 2014 - PWG Last Call in Q4 2014 - IPP Implementors Guide v2.0 (Best Practices) - Prototype draft - http://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/wd/wd-ippig20-20140814-rev.pdf - PWG reviewed on 14 August 2014 - PWG Last Call in Q4 2014 - HCD Health Assessment TNC Binding - Prototype draft - http://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ids/wd/wd-idstnc10-20140508-rev.pdf - PWG reviewed on 15 May 2014 - PWG Last Call in Q4 2014
- Trusted Computing Group in New Orleans, LA - 20-24 October 2014 - http://www.trustedcomputinggroup.org/ - PWG Meeting in Waltham, MA (Conexant host) - 4-6 November 2014 - http://www.pwg.org/chair/meeting-info/november_2014_waltham.html
Open Action Items
Next OP US/Europe Conference Calls
- Note - PWG in Waltham, MA (Conexant is host) - 4-6 November 2014 - Note - Europe Summer Time ends 26 October 2014 - Note - US Daylight Savings Time ends 2 November 2014 - Note - Ira's birthday is 11 November 2014 - day off for OP Chair - Wednesday 12 November 2014, Daytime - ONE TIME day-of-week change - US 10am in San Francisco - US PST (Pacific Standard Time) 11am in Colorado - US MST (Mountain Standard Time) 12pm in Chicago - US CST (Central Standard Time) 1pm in New York - US EST (Eastern Standard Time) - Europe 7pm in Berlin - CET (Central European Time) * Main Number (Till Kamppeter, LF, leader) International: +1-619-326-2730 (new number) Access Code: 491659#
- Note - start choosing 2015 Joint PWG/OPS agenda topics - Note - no PWG or TCG meetings in December 2014 - Tuesday 2 December 2014, Daytime - US 10am in San Francisco - US PST (Pacific Standard Time) 11am in Colorado - US MST (Mountain Standard Time) 12pm in Chicago - US CST (Central Standard Time) 1pm in New York - US EST (Eastern Standard Time) - Europe 7pm in Berlin - CET (Central European Time) * Main Number (Till Kamppeter, LF, leader) International: +1-619-326-2730 (new number) Access Code: 491659#